|Click to view:
N4SER APRS iGate
An experimental N4SER APRS iGate has been set up at the Red Cross building in Sarasota.
Frequency: 144.390 MHz
This is an APRS internet gateway only. It does NOT digipeat.
It will beacon every 30 minutes.
Comments to SERC@N4ser.org are welcome.
Saturday September 12: 8th Annual LambieFest – Tropical Gulf Acres Clubhouse – Punta Gorda, FL. Info: http://arrlwcf.org/event/8th-annual-lambiefest/ Saturday September 12: Upper Pinellas Amateur Radio Club (UPARC) Fall Tailgate – Palm Harbor, FL Info: http://arrlwcf.org/event/uparc-fall-tailgate/ Saturday September 26: 24th Annual Pasco County Hamfest – Gunn Highway Flea Market, Odessa, FL. Info: http://arrlwcf.org/event/23rd-annual-pasco-county-hamfest/ Friday October 9 and Saturday October 10: 50th Annual Melbourne Hamfest – Melbourne Auditorium – Melbourne, FL. Info: http://arrlwcf.org/event/50th-annual-melbourne-hamfest-arrl-florida-state-convention/
- Beginner Guide 2015: Answers the question:How does APRS work ? ( Article ) (Presentation )< scroll down
- Great APRS and WX site… APRS Florida
Hurricane Exercise 2015
Thanks to all who participated. The event was a success.
More information is available : Link
*** NEWS *** NEWS *** NEWS *** NEWS *** NEWS *** NEWS ***
Rich, K9RWH, is moving to Charlotte,NC and has resigned as SERC’s Secretary. Doug, KI4RHU, will take his place.
Thanks Rich for the excellent job you have done, you will be missed.
Welcome Doug, a long time SERC member and an asset to the club.
We all support you in your new position.
Update: the SERC Digital Repeater Project (DMR)
Thanks to the extraordinary efforts by Bill Martin ( K4JBV ) the SERC 444.700 MHz UHF DMR repeater is now up and running.
There is definitely a learning curve on how to use the incredible capabilities of this machine. If anyone, in or out of SERC, would like to try explaining just how to use this repeater please contact us. A nice write up for the web and possible hosting pre-meeting technical seminar would be terrific.
Preliminary: We are planning on having Nick join us via the internet for the August Techie Roundtable to give us a basic primer on DMR. More to come as we firm this up. Please send any questions / topics you want covered to: SERC@N4ser.org
The repeater is on loan to SERC, for as long as we utilize it from Nick DeRoda (N2JTI), Micky’s ( KM4BHV) brother. Nick has been an amateur radio operator for 25 years. He climbs towers for a living and resides in NJ. He coached his sister Michele (Micky) who passed the test to become a ham radio operator last year. Michele is an SERC member. Nick donated the DMR repeater and additional support to the club as we get the repeater up and running. Thank you, Nick!
*** FCC News ***
Need / want a paper copy of that new or upgrade FCC license?
Click here for information on how to get one.
The current Amateur Radio General license exam question pool will expire at mid-night June 30, 2015.
The new question pool goes into effect on July 1, 2015.
The new question pool is available here.
Vanity call sign fee has been dropped ( Click for More Info )
Shacks & Ants
A new photo album has been added ( Link ) called ‘Shacks and Ants’. It will feature your photos of your radio shack, Go Box etc. and your antennas.
Of course we need your pictures to post… so take a snapshot or two fo your shack and antennas and send the to SERC@N4SER.org and we will gladly post them.
The awards are now available
Sign in here follow the instruction in the ‘Award’ tabs.
Paper the Walls
How about adding your QSL card to the N4SER shack’s wall?
Bring one to a meeting or mail one to Den (QRZ address is OK)
We’ll put it up in the shack.
SERC Members only please.
Have you checked into our Wednesday Night Net???
146.730 (-) PL 100
On the air (145.050 MHz):
N4SER-10: e-mail gateway
N4SER digipeater air
DIY: Soundcard WinLink.. how you can put WinLink in your shack without a TNC..
THANKS to those who contributed time and/or $ W3DJM, K4FLV, AK4YH, W9SMR, AJ4FW, W2DEN / N2RDX, K4JBV
Everything you ever wanted to know about WinLink on our Elmer pages: HERE
Want to get more involved?
The Red Cross needs you.
Radio operators are needed to help the Red Cross during a disaster. Working in the Red Cross Chapter House, operating from a shelter etc. If you are interested talk with Den W2DEN and he can help you get signed up..
SERC Radio Room Upgrade Project
- Laptop computer: Wired and/or wireless network, serial port or serial to USB adapter.
- Vista, Win7 or Win8 OS… sorry but XP is getting too outdated.
- Wireless router: wireless G, (G/N would be nice) with at least 4 wired ports.
- a TNC (see Winlink below).
- 2 – flat screen monitors… 600 x 800 resolution or more.
- 2 – usb keyboards.
- 2 – amplified audio distribution systems for the rig outputs…..
- Minimum 2 headphone jacks.
- Volume controls.
- Windom Improvement:
- The Windom antenna does not function very well… proven during the FL QSO Party.
- Help is needed to recondition it and put it back up at a higher point on the tower.
- Additional antenna(s) for HF.
- A dream: a triplexer and 3 band pass filters for the YAGI so we can run 2 stations into the single antenna!
- See QST Issue: Jun 2010 Title: HF Yagi Triplexer Especially for Field Day. Click to download the article: http://p1k.arrl.org/pubs_archive/137277
- Wire A/C for the amplifier… need 20 amp 110 or 220 vac (preferred) dedicated line.
- ??? we are looking for suggestions, what would you like to see in the room.
2 computer to radio interfaces are being constructed and should be completed by field day.
This will allow voice keying from the computers as well as digital modes; PSK, RTTY etc.
If you would like to contribute, time, money, equipment please contact any SERC board me