|Click to view:
What’s a SOTA ?
Find out at our November meeting.
George, N2SQ, will be giving a presentation on SOTA
ALL are invited, bring your questions
Monday November 3 @ 7 PM
Red Cross, 2001 Cantu Ct. Sarasota
Have you checked into our Wednesday Night Net???
More information is available : http://www.arrl.org/hr-4969
I’m W2DEN and I approve this message.
11/08 SPARCFEST (Info)
Freedom Lake Park, Pinellas Park, FL firstname.lastname@example.org
11/10 – 11/11 (Info)
49th Annual Melbourne HAMFEST and ARRL State Convention
Melbourne Auditorium, 625 E. Hibiscus Blvd, Melbourne, Florida 32901
11/2 – 11/3 ARRL SWEEPSTAKES CW(Link)
A ‘fun’ event / contest. For ARRL Centennial point chasers these weekends should yield lots of points.
2100 UTC 11/2 –>> 0300 UTC 11/3
11/15 — 11/17 ARRL SWEEPSTAKES SSB
CQ WW CW / SSB Contests (Link)
A great event to help fill in your Mode/Band list…. !!
Watch the bands the week before and after…..
SSB: October 25-26, 2014
CW: November 29-30, 2014
Starts: 0000 UTC Saturday
Ends: 2359 UTC Sunday
12/12 – 12/13 2014
West Central Florida Section Convention (Tampa Bay Hamfest) ( Info )
Agricultural Show Center, 2508 W. Oak Avenue, Plant City, Florida
01/16 – 01/17/2015 Fort Myers Annual Hamfest ( Info )
‘Be Ready Florida’ free workshops’
MAKE MITIGATION HAPPEN!’ How to prepare your home for hurricanes.
Visit their site for more information and to register: http://www.bereadyflorida.org/
There is lots of additional information on this site… worth taking a look at!
Want to get more involved?
The Red Cross needs you.
Radio operators are needed to help the Red Cross during a disaster. Working in the Red Cross Chapter House, operating from a shelter etc. If you are interested talk with Den W2DEN and he can help you get signed up..
The Sarasota Emergency Radio Club had a great Field Day:
- 3 Stations on the air (2 SSB, 1 CW) using the club’s beam and windom along with a couple of portable antennas in the parking lot.
- Some non-hams, hopefully soon to be, got to experience amateur radio first hand and left smiling.
- We rekindled the ham flame in a few ‘inactive’ hams, hopefully they will continue to enjoy the hobby.
- Everyone had a great time…
- Our final score…. were we supposed to keep score?
…. bottom line: we met our primary objective, we had fun.
… Hope to See you Next year …
Open House / Elmer Day
|OPS: K4JBV K9RWH KK4WBU KK4ZYE W2DEN W2RWH W3DJM||28||4||8||2|
|Non-Ham: Micky Taylor||Totals||303||604||49|
were a huge success. Everyone had a great time!
Pictures <<<<<<< Click
Thanks to our volunteers:
SERC Radio Room Upgrade Project
- Laptop computer: Wired and/or wireless network, serial port or serial to USB adapter.
- Wireless router: wireless G, (G/N would be nice) with at least 4 wired ports.
- a TNC (see Winlink below).
- 2 – flat screen monitors… 600 x 800 resolution or more.
- 2 – usb keyboards.
- 2 – amplified audio distribution systems for the rig outputs…..
- Minimum 2 headphone jacks.
- Volume controls.
- Windom Improvement:
- The Windom antenna does not function very well… proven during the FL QSO Party.
- Help is needed to recondition it and put it back up at a higher point on the tower.
- Additional antenna(s) for HF.
- A dream: a triplexer and 3 band pass filters for the YAGI so we can run 2 stations into the single antenna!
- See QST Issue: Jun 2010 Title: HF Yagi Triplexer Especially for Field Day. Click to download the article: http://p1k.arrl.org/pubs_archive/137277
- Wire A/C for the amplifier… need 20 amp 110 or 220 vac (preferred) dedicated line.
- ??? we are looking for suggestions, what would you like to see in the room.
2 computer to radio interfaces are being constructed and should be completed by field day.
This will allow voice keying from the computers as well as digital modes; PSK, RTTY etc.
If you would like to contribute, time, money, equipment please contact any SERC board me
Radio Room Upgrade Donation:
Radio Room Upgrade Donation:
To get back on the air we need a replacement TNC.
If you have one you’d like to donate or would like to sponsor a new one please let Den W2DEN know.
Click the logo for more info
Rotor is fixed!
Thanks to Bill, Bill, Rich, Net and Den the SERC Rotor at the Red Cross building is fully functional
Some of you may remember when SERC was an active Skywarn Club (www. skywarn.com), it was a few years ago. There is interest in once again participating in Skywarn. The West Central Florida Group (NI4CE) has the Skywarn nets well covered but there are few, if any, trained Skywarn volunteers in our area.
… SERC would like to sponsor a Skywarn Class sometime in the next year. You must be trained in order to participate!
If anyone would like to volunteer to set up the class with NOAA please contact Al (KI4YEH) or drop an e-mail to SERC@N4SER.org
A nice write up in the Florida’s West Coast Region Red Cross July Newsletter on our Field Day operations:
Office for Radio Field Day
The American Red Cross can turn to our amateur radio operators
if we lose communications in our area after a storm. The Sarasota Emergency Radio Club worked out of the Sarasota office to participate in the annual 24 hour Amateur Radio Field Day training. The event involves more than 35,000 certified operators in the US and Canada.
The group was busy logging contacts with other operators throughout the field day. Other local radio groups were set up at different locations in our area. In addition to being vital in emergency situations, users also enjoy the recreational aspect of radio.
FIELD Day 2013 Report:
This was the best field Day I have yet to attend at the Red Cross Building.
We operated 2F WCF with a GOTA station. Modes: CW, SSB, PSK and RTTY. Good fun!
Final score: 1,910 … Good job to all who participated!
Picture have been posted: Field Day 2013 Aalbum
|Rich Hillyer||K9RWH||SSB GOTA|
|David Merullo||W3DJM||SSB DIGITAL GOTA|
SNN 6 showed up and over the weekend the following video aired about once an hour: