|Click to view:
Whiskey Island: Radio Active Map Link
Mark you calendars… July 26th we will be activating Whiskey Island a.k.a. Turner Key
US Island on the air web page: Here
RSVP: Bill Franklin K4FLV
WANT TO INSTALL AN ANTENNA?
THE AMATEUR RADIO PARITY ACT OF 2014
More information is available : http://www.arrl.org/hr-4969
I’m W2DEN and I approve this message.
Some fun operating events:
RSGB IOTA Contest: ( Click for details )
12:00 UTC Saturday 26th July to 12:00 UTC Sunday 27th July 2014.
This is the only opportunity to get credit for working IOTA stations without a QSL card. Your RSGB IOTA account will be credited with all valid IOTA contest QSOs in your submitted contest log. The first IOTA certificate is for working 100 IOTAs, an easy task during this contest. The N1MM logger does a great job for this, and many more contests. Down load a copy here and have some fun with the IOTA contest. Drop SERC@N4SER.org an e-mail if you have questions.
International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend ( Click for details )
00:01 UTC August 16 2014 – 23:59 UTC August 17
The Sarasota Emergency Radio Club had a great Field Day:
- 3 Stations on the air (2 SSB, 1 CW) using the club’s beam and windom along with a couple of portable antennas in the parking lot.
- Some non-hams, hopefully soon to be, got to experience amateur radio first hand and left smiling.
- We rekindled the ham flame in a few ‘inactive’ hams, hopefully they will continue to enjoy the hobby.
- Everyone had a great time…
- Our final score…. were we supposed to keep score?
…. bottom line: we met our primary objective, we had fun.
… Hope to See you Next year …
Want to get more involved?
The Red Cross needs you.
Radio operators are needed to help the Red Cross during a disaster. Working in the Red Cross Chapter House, operating from a shelter etc. If you are interested talk with Den W2DEN and he can help you get signed up..
Open House / Elmer Day
|OPS: K4JBV K9RWH KK4WBU KK4ZYE W2DEN W2RWH W3DJM||28||4||8||2|
|Non-Ham: Micky Taylor||Totals||303||604||49|
were a huge success. Everyone had a great time!
Pictures <<<<<<< Click
Thanks to our volunteers:
- ‘Be Ready Florida’ free workshops’ MAKE MITIGATION HAPPEN!’ How to prepare your home for hurricanes. Visit their site for more information and to register: http://www.bereadyflorida.org/ There is lots of additional information on this site… worth taking a look at!
Postponed… again …
Will update when the situation changes
NA-020 .. a rare one !
Should be ez from Florida
SERC Radio Room Upgrade Project
- Laptop computer: Wired and/or wireless network, serial port or serial to USB adapter.
- Wireless router: wireless G, (G/N would be nice) with at least 4 wired ports.
- a TNC (see Winlink below).
- 2 – flat screen monitors… 600 x 800 resolution or more.
- 2 – usb keyboards.
- 2 – amplified audio distribution systems for the rig outputs…..
- Minimum 2 headphone jacks.
- Volume controls.
- Windom Improvement:
- The Windom antenna does not function very well… proven during the FL QSO Party.
- Help is needed to recondition it and put it back up at a higher point on the tower.
- Additional antenna(s) for HF.
- A dream: a triplexer and 3 band pass filters for the YAGI so we can run 2 stations into the single antenna!
- See QST Issue: Jun 2010 Title: HF Yagi Triplexer Especially for Field Day. Click to download the article: http://p1k.arrl.org/pubs_archive/137277
- Wire A/C for the amplifier… need 20 amp 110 or 220 vac (preferred) dedicated line.
- ??? we are looking for suggestions, what would you like to see in the room.
2 computer to radio interfaces are being constructed and should be completed by field day.
This will allow voice keying from the computers as well as digital modes; PSK, RTTY etc.
To get back on the air we need a replacement TNC.
If you have one you’d like to donate or would like to sponsor a new one please let Den W2DEN know.
Click the logo for more info
Rotor is fixed!
Thanks to Bill, Bill, Rich, Net and Den the SERC Rotor at the Red Cross building is fully functional
Some of you may remember when SERC was an active Skywarn Club (www. skywarn.com), it was a few years ago. There is interest in once again participating in Skywarn. The West Central Florida Group (NI4CE) has the Skywarn nets well covered but there are few, if any, trained Skywarn volunteers in our area.
… SERC would like to sponsor a Skywarn Class sometime in the next year. You must be trained in order to participate!
If anyone would like to volunteer to set up the class with NOAA please contact Al (KI4YEH) or drop an e-mail to SERC@N4SER.org
A nice write up in the Florida’s West Coast Region Red Cross July Newsletter on our Field Day operations:
Office for Radio Field Day
The American Red Cross can turn to our amateur radio operators
if we lose communications in our area after a storm. The Sarasota Emergency Radio Club worked out of the Sarasota office to participate in the annual 24 hour Amateur Radio Field Day training. The event involves more than 35,000 certified operators in the US and Canada.
The group was busy logging contacts with other operators throughout the field day. Other local radio groups were set up at different locations in our area. In addition to being vital in emergency situations, users also enjoy the recreational aspect of radio.
FIELD Day 2013 Report:
This was the best field Day I have yet to attend at the Red Cross Building.
We operated 2F WCF with a GOTA station. Modes: CW, SSB, PSK and RTTY. Good fun!
Final score: 1,910 … Good job to all who participated!
Picture have been posted: Field Day 2013 Aalbum
|Rich Hillyer||K9RWH||SSB GOTA|
|David Merullo||W3DJM||SSB DIGITAL GOTA|
SNN 6 showed up and over the weekend the following video aired about once an hour: